Monday, January 07, 2008

Peace

Over the past few months I've had the rewarding opportunity to work with this group of women. They call themselves Amahoro Ava M'wijuru which, in Kirundi, means Peace from Above. These five ladies meet each day for fellowship and to sew together to support their families and to be an agent for peace in their communities. The parent organization, Amani Ya Juu, is based in Kenya but there are satellite groups in several African countries. To learn more about the organization you can visit their website by clicking here.

Goreth, Lydia, Anastasie, and Liviane with some of the fruits of their labor.

Goreth & Evariste



Goreth leads the group and they also meet daily in her and her husband Evariste's home. They have six beautiful children: Sifa, Ula, Laila, Ecko, Duncan, and Kefa. Despite the language barrier (Goreth speaks only a little English, and I speak even less Kirundi) she has become one of my dearest friends here.  She is just one year older than me and she even shares my love for shoes.  We've laughed together, cried together, prayed together, sung together...Goreth is a gift.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How delightful to learn more about this part of your life, and to see the lovely ladies you've been working with. We love and miss you.
Mom and Dad

Rakel said...

With great fondness do we remember our visit with these precious people. Give them my love!! Good to hear from you Sara!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! It's so good to hear from you. Glad to hear the Lord has provided friends and support. BTW-I just picked up Lolita in Tehran at Goodwill... wacky.

Kristi said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm glad to see these beautiful women that I've heard about, and glad to hear this has been a source of joy and life for you. :)

daylon said...

What a beautiful family! I would give anything to be there.

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear and see of your blessing of friendship. We pray for you often and love and miss you. Mike, Anne and the rest

Anonymous said...

Sara,

I wrote a lengthy comment a second ago, but don't think it posted... So this one won't be as eloquent!

I too met Goreth! She came to the US in October and stayed at my home for 4 days.

Would love to share experiences. Please contact me through facebook or email. Lots of pics and video of Goreth there!

Christin Templeton Boone, Charlotte NC
cboone@carolina.rr.com