Monday, March 17, 2008

Final Week

Well, one week from today I'll be boarding a plane that will take me away from Burundi and back home to Oregon. There's a lot to say about my (almost) three years in this place of complexity and beauty, but instead I’ll tell you about some of those to whom I’ll be saying goodbye in a few short days.

Tonight I was invited to the home of Emmanuel and Asele. Emmanuel and I have shared an office at World Relief for over a year now. He is the former Africa director for a large organization which ministers to university students (Intervarsity in N. America). Asele is among the leadership of a ministry that disciples and trains women as leaders in their churches. Their kids Jolie, Lewis, and baby Elsa are intelligent and delightful. Emmanuel has recently left his position at GBU with the blessings of his superiors to pursue his dream of deepening his fellow Burundians’ understanding of scripture and what it means to live out the gospel.

I’m grateful for friends like these.


ps. Asele wins best hair in Burundi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's SO good to see this snippet of your "friends file" from there. And we can hardly wait to see you next week!
Love, Mom and Dad

Kristi said...

I've been wondering exactly when you were leaving and what the countdown was like there. Glad that you get these positive good-bye moments with great people.